Click the "CLICK HERE FOR MORE" link at the end of each entry for the rest of the story, photo slideshows, and more!

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Scale model car kits are fun, educational, and rewarding

After my granddad died, and my dad was cleaning out the “junk” from his old room so he could eventually move my grandma into an apartment, I watched helplessly as he loaded boxes of old model kits and parts into the truck headed for the city dump.

I was seven, and although I always thought model kits were neat, I never realized how much I liked them until I saw such a great stash headed for the trash. Dad gave me a couple of old junker models and boxes to keep me out of the way, and I’ve loved them ever since.

The models I’m referring to are 1/25th-scale kits. The earliest examples, and as it turns out the first that I ever had any experience with, were from about 1958. They were called “annuals”, because they came out with new versions every year to correspond with the actual new cars in the showrooms.

They were essentially made from the same molds as dealer promotional models, which were sold or given away as assembled toys at new car dealerships. Obviously, kits had to be put together, but they were also made out of a more durable styrene plastic that didn’t tend to warp as bad as the promos did. Often, they came with extra decals and customizing pieces that could be glued on to build something Barris-esque. As time went on, the hoods opened up to reveal the engine, and more parts were included for more realism.

Model cars were regularly featured in the hot rod magazines of the 50s and 60s, and they really were a popular item with kids back then. It would not be a stretch to say that many of the best customizers, restorers, and builders of real cars got their start with brands like AMT, JoHan, and Monogram.

Thanks to the wonders of the computer, today’s model cars are more detailed than ever. You can buy them at most any hobby store, but it is often the smaller, independent hobby stores that specialize in car collectables that have the best selections.

Sadly, you can’t find them at most major department stores anymore, and in general, they aren’t quite as popular as they used to be. I think it’s because kids would rather play computer games or watch DVD’s in the home theatre than spend hours and days patiently crafting a little car they can’t play with. They also cost more than they used to, as you can easily spend $20 for a good kit before you buy any of the paint or supplies required to build it.

On the flipside, it is extremely rewarding to do all that work, match the body up to the chassis, and see what you’ve created. It also teaches lessons about what goes into a real car, paint and bodywork, dexterity, research, and most importantly, patience.

Enjoying models is something that anyone interested in cars, old or new, can try. It might seem daunting at first, but with a little practice, and a lot of patience, it is a hobby that can last a lifetime.

I should end the article there, but I have one final note. If you are all grown-up, and you are taking all your old model stuff to the dump in front of your kid, please reconsider. You may be scarring them for life. Ya’ hear that, dad? Scarred for life!!!

1 comment: